Monday, May 21, 2012

SUPER STRONG FABRIC MAGNETS TUTORIAL

fabric magnet 10
What you need and how to make super-duper strong fabric magnets.  Read on my friend.

These magnets can be made in a lot of different sizes but to make the ones I have shown, you will need:

  • Flat-back buttons to cover, size 24 (5/8”)
  • Covered button tools (these can be purchased in a starter pack of buttons or separately)
  • A template (the starter packs come with one on the package or you can just cut your own)
  • Scrap fabric
  • Rare earth magnets 1/2” x 1/16”
  • E6000 (or another equally strong adhesive)



fabric magnet 1

These are by no means technical terms but, hey, that’s how I’m going to identify these things for you.

fabric magnet 2

A few tips before we get started:


  • I purchased by flat-back buttons to cover from Cutie Stuffs on Etsy.  They come in a variety of quantities and sizes.  Waaaay fast shipping, too!
  • I also got the magnets from Etsy seller Trinkets 2.  I swear, I’ve not come across an Etsy seller that disappoints yet.
  • The template I cut out myself at 1 3/8” diameter and I like to cut a hole in the middle the size of the button so I can see what it will look like in the end.  This is also helpful if you just slide the template around on fabric, you might just find some interesting part that you would otherwise have overlooked.
  • The Neodymium rare earth magnets I used are so strong they can hold several sheets of paper to a metal surface.  There are warnings with these magnets so buyers take caution.  I like these because their size fits perfectly flush inside the button back.  As you work with these magnets, you will find that you cannot place them near each other or metal.  They are strong and will zap themselves to it.  This sucks when you are dealing with the adhesion process.  So when that time comes, keep them adequately separated.

Ok, so here we go!  Use your template to mark circles in your fabric.  Get creative.  You don’t have to center something small.  It can be off-centered or totally random.  I happened to like these little designs and they turned out cuter than I thought as buttons.

fabric magnet 3

Cut out your circles and lay the circle right-side facing down on the rubber holder.  Then place the button top face down on top of the fabric and push it into the rubber holder.  Your finger will work or the eraser end of a pencil also works great.

fabric magnet 4

Then tuck the excess fabric in on itself inside the button and place the button back on top of that.  Then using the pusher to lock it in place.  Push hard until you hear it *snap*.

fabric magnet 5

Using your thumb under the rubber holder, pop out your new pretty button.

fabric magnet 6

Mine don’t always come out perfectly centered but I kind of like them that way.  Adhere a magnet to the back of the button following the instructions on the package of E6000.  If you threw away your package, you’ll notice that they don’t put the instructions on the tube.  Just incase, you should apply a small dab to both surfaces to be bonded and let it cure a little for about 10 minutes.  Then join your pieces together.  I’m impatient and a bit of a rebel so I only waited for like a minute or so.  I haven’t had any problems.

fabric magnet 7

I plan on selling these at an upcoming festival so I made a display on a magnetic white board.  I’m not going to tell you not to sell them just because I wrote a tutorial on how to make them.  I figure this is a project anyone could and probably has already come up with.  I just thought I’d share with you these cool rare earth magnets and I thought it was neat that the two fit together so perfectly!

fabric magnet 8

Have fun crafting!
 

yvette heart

1 comment:

I really really love and appreciate comments, but i hate spam.

Due to the heavy amount of spam comments I've been receiving lately I had to put the word verification up. I know how annoying it can be when you want to leave a comment but I hope you will understand.

Would you be so kind to take the extra step to post your thoughts?

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...